Friday, June 4, 2010

bread & butter pickles

use small unwaxed cucs & tiny white onions.
6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
1 pound small onions
1 green bell pepper shredded
1/4 cup salt
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 tea. turmeric
1/4 tea. cloves
1 TAB. mustard seed
1 tea. celery seed
2 cups cider vinegar
mix the cucs, onion (sliced if large) green pepper, and salt. Cover and let stand for 3 hours. Mix the remaining ingredients in a large pot, bring slowly to a boiling point, and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables in a colander and rinse them well with cold water. Add them to the hot syrup and heat to just below boiling point. Spoon into hot sterilized jars, fill with the cooking syrup, leaving 1/8in. headspace and seal. Or if you want to you can process in a boiling water bath for 10 min. Jack if you want I also have a dill pickle recipe. Also a chow chow recipe but I have to hunt for that

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if anyone has tried Chow Chow but it is so good on pork chops & chicken. When we used to get a lot of cabbage and have millions of green tomatoes in our garden we would make this. I hope I can find the recipe for anyone who wants to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks linda, what is chow chow?
    will this recipe work for kosher or dill pickles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no but i will get that tomorrow. and I post the chow chow recipe. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't find that good pickles recipe. I will keep looking. you can use any kind of pickles for the bread & butter pickles if you want. sorry it is taking me so long to find it..

    ReplyDelete