Thursday, June 24, 2010

James' Mountain Man Breakfast

This has become a family favorite. We've made this meal with a dutch oven, over coals or briquettes, and even in a frying pan over the stove. We have enjoyed it for dinners as well as for breakfast.
Ingredients:
Potatoes 12+/- med.size
Bacon strips 4-5 (or more) slices
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bellpepper
1 small can of mushrooms
1 pound of cheese
6-8 Eggs
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil.

For dutch oven cooking:
First, cut the bacon into 1/2" pieces. Then cook the bacon on the upside-down dutch oven lid, over coals. I usually mix the chopped onions and bellpepper the last few minutes. When the onions become translucent, put the grease, bacon, onions and bellpeppers in the dutch oven. Slice potatoes and place on top. At this point, I like to season the potatoes with seasonal, I estimate +/- 1/2 tablespoon. Go ahead and add the small can of mushrooms. Mix all ingredients in the pan. Add the 1/4 (or more) cup of vegetable or olive oil to the mix. Now, crack the eggs over the top of this mixture- no mixing necessary. Finally, spread grated cheese on top of the mixture. I usually will cook this for 45 minutes to an hour. You can eat this by itself (this is good enough for me), with salsa or use it as the filling for burritos. Another ingredient I like to add, unless someone objects, is a chili pepper to give it a little kick. You can mix the diced pepper in with the onion and bellpeppers.

If you cook this over the stove in a pan, I cook the potatoes with the seasonal until they are about half cooked. The bacon, onions and bellpeppers are cooked in a separate pan, same as above. Again, when the potatoes are just getting soft, I add the bacon mixture and small can of mushrooms. Please note, you will need to add a little more oil to this mixture to cook the potatoes. I usually, don't use the bacon grease in this type of cooking, because they are both cooking at the same time. If you're like me, I like to cook my potatoes a little on the crispy side. So, just before I think the potatoes and mix are done, I crack the eggs on top. I then add the grated cheese all over. Remember, no mixing or turning is necessary. I cook everything a little more and then its ready for serving.
Bone Appitie.

3 comments:

  1. wow that sounds great. I am really going to do this. It sounds so good. u are making me so hungry. See ya on friday, love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make this next camping trip to Lake Almanor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamey made this for all of us one morning. it was so good. i am wanting some right now. lv mom

    ReplyDelete